FairlyCale
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FairlyCale

The ultimate John Cale forum.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chum of Bob Neuwirth

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chum of Bob Neuwirth Empty Chum of Bob Neuwirth Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:50 pm

Nayika

Nayika

I rarely read anything about this collaboration. I'm now for more than 10 years proud owner of this CD and I still quite often listen to it. I'm almost shy to ask: Does anybody else appreciate this collaboration with Neuwirth?

Anyway, it's kind of serious stuff these two wrote and sometimes I have to smile a bit when Cale shouts: "Who's in charge?" and tries to give these almost pubertal (Sorry!) answers. That's really sweet! Twisted Evil

But in the whole I really love this album, although the angry songs are missing...

Did anybody watch both of them performing it live?

https://www.facebook.com/WeKnowJohnCale

2Chum of Bob Neuwirth Empty Re: Chum of Bob Neuwirth Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:19 pm

_edgesofvision_

_edgesofvision_

I love the album. Every track is a winner. Beautiful collaboration. Contrasting styles really gel. Neuwirth’s singing voice has that lovely lilt to it, and his spoken lines are those of a fine actor. He also twangs some immaculate banjo. Cale’s in his element here, too. Storytelling at its best. And so much information. Great delivery. Philosophy and art. Much thought gone into the making of this album. ‘Maps Of The World’ – just listen to them talk on this. “What kind of map?”, asks Neuwirth, to which Cale replies, “As up to date as possible, I’m thinking of doing a bit of travelling...” A great song. And have you noticed that ‘The Man Who Couldn’t Afford To Orgy’ riff kicks the song off from there. A wonderful album crammed full of goodies. ‘Streets Come Alive’, oh so menacing with classic harmonica playing from Neuwirth and some beautiful stabbing guitar from David Tronzo. I’ve always been surprised that this album rarely gets a mention. Great that you did. Cheers! For a long time I was addicted to whistling ‘Ocean Life’.

Zig cyclops

3Chum of Bob Neuwirth Empty Re: Chum of Bob Neuwirth Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:56 pm

Nayika

Nayika

It's so great that you also love this album! cheers

And I'm also quite good in whistling "Ocean life". We could have a duett! Yeah! The tune is just so catching.

And I just checked "The man who couldn't afford to orgy"...hahaha... I never realised that, but I know "Last Day on Earth" much better and longer. But now I also know why I liked the orgy song straight from the beginning. Tricky subconsciousness!

Don't tell anybody, but I listen to this collaboration even more often than to "Drella"... Rolling Eyes

Of course both are not at all comparable to each other, but "Last Day on Earth" is definitely underrated. It's also much easier to digest...it's just different! But great!!!

https://www.facebook.com/WeKnowJohnCale

4Chum of Bob Neuwirth Empty Re: Chum of Bob Neuwirth Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:46 pm

The tour was labelled "Greenwich Delusion"..maybe because it was quickly realised no one was interested in seeing this show so funding was withdrawn for the UK/London dates.
The tour stayed here in mainland Europe playing to almost empty halls. There were just too many people on stage for it to be enjoyable. A lot Cale fans i know had lost interest in him by this time anyway.

Nayika wrote:I rarely read anything about this collaboration. I'm now for more than 10 years proud owner of this CD and I still quite often listen to it. I'm almost shy to ask: Does anybody else appreciate this collaboration with Neuwirth?

Anyway, it's kind of serious stuff these two wrote and sometimes I have to smile a bit when Cale shouts: "Who's in charge?" and tries to give these almost pubertal (Sorry!) answers. That's really sweet! Twisted Evil

But in the whole I really love this album, although the angry songs are missing...

Did anybody watch both of them performing it live?

5Chum of Bob Neuwirth Empty Re: Chum of Bob Neuwirth Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:30 pm

hctf

hctf

fireball wrote:The tour was labelled "Greenwich Delusion"..maybe because it was quickly realised no one was interested in seeing this show so funding was withdrawn for the UK/London dates.
The tour stayed here in mainland Europe playing to almost empty halls. There were just too many people on stage for it to be enjoyable. A lot Cale fans i know had lost interest in him by this time anyway.

Caught the Amsterdam show (May 20, 1994) and it was great. Three encores as I recall, because the audience loved it so much.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~werksman/cale/

6Chum of Bob Neuwirth Empty Re: Chum of Bob Neuwirth Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:37 am

Nolan

That album is one of my favourites. I'd take it over Drella or Wrong Way up (both of which I love btw). I got it when it came out, listen to it often and never get tired of it. In addition to all the bits mentioned by others above, I always liked the instrumental bits at the starts and ends of the songs (and mixed through them)that seemed to link with the non-vocal albums of the time (in my head anyway). I mean Paris Seville (sic)etc. This seemed to be the biggest bridge between the two parallel careers (the 'sound tracks' and the vocal albums)of the time and a precursor to the (much) later vocal albums. John singing about the seductive angel of death waiting used to seem a bit spooky as I thought he was so old then (I was so young). I didn't think I'd be seeing him put on such a powerful and alive performance 19 years later.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum